Number 4 Chapel Row is a fine example of a typical 19th Century ironworker’s cottage.
Built in 1825 for the workers of the Cyfarthfa Ironworks, the cottage was the birthplace in 1841 of Joseph Parry, Wales’ best known composer. His much loved ‘Myfanwy’ is still a favourite of Welsh Male Voice Choirs to this day.
The interior of the cottage is set in the 1840’s, and shows the living conditions of the ironworkers at the time when Parry was a young boy. The upstairs galleries house an exhibition about Joseph Parry’s life and work.
A school visit to Joseph Parry’s cottage offers a unique opportunity to learn about the living conditions of 19th Century Ironworkers. Many schools choose to visit both Cyfarthfa Castle Museum & Art Gallery and Joseph Parry’s Cottage in the same visit, as it offers an excellent opportunity to compare the homes of Ironmasters and Ironworkers.
Facilitated visits to Joseph Parry’s Cottage are available for school groups of all ages.
Talks can also be provided to community groups and further and higher education groups. Due to the size of the cottage, we can accommodate a maximum of 30 children – or 20 adults – at any one time.
For more information, or to book a visit, contact the Museum Education Officer on (01685) 727371.
For Cottage Opening days and times click HERE
For activity days click HERE
At Joseph Parry’s Cottage the ground floor can be accessed via a ramp. Due to the historic nature of the building, the first floor can be accessed by staircase only.
Free car and coach parking is available at Joseph Parry’s cottage. On entering Chapel Row, two large parking bays can be found on the left hand side of the road.
Joseph Parry’s Cottage is run entirely by volunteers during the summer months. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at Joseph Parry’s Cottage, please contact us for more information.
Thank you to Colin Laver Heating who have generously sponsored Joseph Parry’s Ironworker’s Cottage enabling us to relaunch on May 21st, 2016.